My professional goals after completing this course besides the obvious, which is to begin a fulfilling and exciting career in design and have a chance to express any artistic capabilities in an everyday working environment, is to be able to share my work with others professionally and personally. I want to be able showcase work and be able to critique on an everyday basis. We've done it in class already and we have barely started the program. I don't mind someone giving constructive criticism as long as it is respectful and they know what they are talking about. On the flip side if a client or colleague of mine reviews my work and they are "moved" by it, well there is nothing better. Basically being able to be around art and design is a privilege in itself and to get paid for it is a bonus.
I like working with others and expressing or sharing ideas, thumb nailing and brainstorming. When you have minds that think alike ideas usually fall together but when you have creative minds that think alike, ideas are always flowing out like waterfalls. I want my interaction skills to improve, whether its with in group projects or public speaking in any presentation, because I know I have allot of room for improvement. I want to elaborate on more than just, "...I like the colour red, it is pretty.....". So in short, I'll know I've achieved my goals if I have improved my art skills, have a better understanding of design in general, i have improved my interaction skills and left this class with knowing everyone not just as colleagues but as Friends because lets face it we all have at least one thing in common and that is art and design.
My greatest source of inspiration is everyday life. We all have had experiences in life, sometimes good, sometimes horrible but each experience has had an affect on you, like me. That's why some artists write songs or poems, well as you can tell I'm not that great a writer so I usually draw it out. It's easier for me. My parents are a huge inspiration for me, I've been blessed to have the parents that I have and I realize how lucky I am as well. My family in general have been nothing but supportive, although I gotta say my sister drives me nuts, love her to death but, "oh my god", just kidding, kind of. Seriously though, she has been there for me always.... "Now I'm gonna cry". Stay on topic Jack. So life in general has inspired me, I can't pick out one specific thing.
Five measurable results that I feel will best indicate I have achieved my goals in this DGD program are:
1) The software: I have mastered the programs that we are learning. These tools are obviously what we need to know in the workforce and how well you know it is the difference between you or someone else getting "the" job.
2) Communication: Like I mentioned before, being able to present and work well with others. Improving those skills.
3) Understanding Design: To be able to critique and comment on work and to be able to know what makes a design great and not so.
4) "Friends": To leave this class at the end of the 9 months and to be comfortable with everyone not only as Friends but as colleagues as well. You never know the person sitting next to you or in front of you might want to hire you one day.
5) Designer : To overall become a better designer. Isn't that the main reason why we are here. I want my art skills to improve through out this program not only through the software but on paper as well. Let my work speak for itself.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"You never know the person sitting next to you or in front of you might want to hire you one day."
ReplyDeleteI like this!! Its so true... we might work at the same place one day on the same team.. so I hope everyone gets along this year - I think its important =)
I like the colour pink.. it's pretty. I too want to improve my communication skills in commenting and describing designs or even just talking to people.
ReplyDeleteEveryone, if we haven't talked, it's not because I don't like you.
"You never know the person sitting next to you or in front of you might want to hire you one day."
ReplyDeleteYou and Kayla are right on the money there. Graphic Design seems to be a wider/larger field than animation, but I can say from experience that I've never had a job in animation where I didn't work with at least a couple of my old classmates. The connections we make at VCC will probably carry on well into our future careers. We all better be nice to each other;)
That is true you never know what future brings and we might work together. Well said guys.
ReplyDeleteHaving read almost everyones posts so far, I can say that it appears you all have many things in common beyond your goals and hopes for the future. I'm sure we'll have a terrific year working together and learning from each other.
ReplyDelete